If you only had to spend $6 a YEAR for laundry detergent, you’d be saving a LOT! What would you use your savings for? Here’s a recipe to spend only around $6 and make a year’s worth of detergent – not only is it frugal, but there are no harsh additives or dyes either!!
Here’s what you will need:
5 gallon bucket with lid (You can find these at Home Depot)
Ivory bar soap
Arm and Hammer WASHING soda.
OPTIONAL: You can add something like Downy Unstopables for some scent! I have heard from several that have tried it that it works fantastic!
1) Grate 1 bar of Ivory bar soap and add it to a sauce pan with 3 cups of water.
2) Over Medium heat stir the soap and water till the soap has dissolved.
3) Meanwhile, fill the 5 gal. bucket 1/2 full with warm tap water.
4) Add 1 cup Borax and 1 1/2 cup Arm and Hammer Washing Soda to the bucket and mix well.
When the soap has dissolved in the saucepan add that to the bucket stirring well and topping the bucket off with water.
5) Then fill your empty store bought soap containers half full of soap and half full of water and shake. You are done!
* It is important to remember that the mixture can settle and so before using you may need to shake the container a bit and before refilling the bottles you will need to stir the mixture in the bucket.
I don’t just want to write about coupons to save – tips and tricks like this one here are so important in your adventures to living frugally! If you have a money saving tip or trick, please send it my way! I’d love to share it with everyone! You can email me at firstname.lastname@example.org