Recently, I had to switch doctors because of my health insurance. One of the things that my new patient exam required for my new doctor was a cholesterol test. I kind of laughed at it. I am 32 years old, at a good weight for my height, and pretty fit since I hit the gym every single week day. I didn’t think it was necessary but took the test anyways because they required it. After I gave my blood and left, I totally forgot about the test and went on with my life. About a week and a half later, my doctor called me on the phone to give me my test results. According to the test, I have dangerously high cholesterol. Seriously?! Since I am still nursing my daughter Selah, and the possibility for baby #5 is on the horizon, taking cholesterol lowering medications is out of the question. I need to change my diet. There are so many heart healthy ways to eat, and tasty recipes too! My husband and I created a recipe for Pea, Leek, and Broccoli soup that is totally heart healthy and delish! See below for the Pick ‘n Save recipe! I love it so much, I just had to share it with you! One of the ways I can easily eat heart healthy is by following the Health Key system at Pick ‘n Save when I grocery shop!
What you put into your body has a direct effect on what you get out of your body. Better food choices lead to a healthier life. And helping you live better is precisely why we’ve developed health key™ — a wellness program designed to simplify your shopping experience and make it easier for you to put healthier food in your cart.
You’ll be able to find these Health Key tags for the following categories:
- gluten free
- whole grain
- no sugars added
- heart healthy
- good source of fiber
- low saturated fat
- sodium free
I love how Pick ‘n Save is always making it easier for us to create healthy and delicious meals for our family! Not only that, but they WANT us to save money on the groceries that we buy. How do I know that? Well – they give us SO many different ways to save at Pick ‘n Save!
- Fresh Perks Card: Extra savings when you use your Fresh Perks card.
- Price Lock: Low prices locked down for several weeks on your favorite items throughout the store.
- New Low Price: Permanently lowered prices. Great savings everyday.
- Weekly Advertised Specials: You can save up to 50% on over 2,900 sales items throughout the store each week with the circular.
- Sale: Great savings from our sales flyer and in-store discounts in every department.
- Downloadable Coupons:
- PICK – from select manufacturers coupons
- CLICK – the coupons you want to load onto your Fresh Perks Card
- GO – to your store and save automatically when you use your Fresh Perks Card
- Coupon Books: Up to two full weeks of savings are available when you shop using our coupon books. Save up to 50% with coupons that offer a choice from up to 1,500 individual items each month. Just take the easy clip coupons to the store and start enjoying additional savings.
- Own Brand: Roundy’s Own Brand offers additional ways to help with your food budget. Compare and Save. Save up to 15% or more versus the comparable national brand on over 5,000 items throughout our stores. Look for the special Compare and Save tag for quality savings made easy.
- Double Daze: Every Wednesday and Saturday you can save 100% more on manufacturers’ coupons. The manufacturer gives you a deal, and we double it. You must present your Fresh Perks Card at the time of checkout to double manufacturer coupon values. Your transaction must be $25 before tax and after all store coupons and Fresh Perks Card discounts are applied. You can redeem up to 5 manufacturers’ coupons (with values up to $1 each). That’s up to $5 in savings!
Pick ‘n Save offers the best selection and quality of fresh ingredients and meal inspiration to help make life a little easier! Pair that with all of the great ways you can save money while shopping there, and you know why it’s my favorite place to shop!
Whether you are looking for heart healthy recipes or are just looking for something tasty to make for dinner, you’ll love this Pea, Leek, and Broccoli Soup with Crostini!! Not only is it heart healthy, but it is also Gluten-Free (if you minus the crostini), a good source of fiber, low in sodium, and low in saturated fat!
2 tablespoons Olive Oil
2 medium potatoes, chopped 1/4″ pieces
16 oz. frozen broccoli cuts
16 oz. frozen peas
2-3 medium to large leeks, halved & chopped
5 cups vegetable stock
1 medium onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
french bread (optional)
sour cream (optional)
Cook oil and onions over medium heat about 5 minutes.
Add garlic and half of the leeks and cook for 3 more minutes.
Next, add the stock and potatoes.
Increase the heat to high and bring to a boil.
Once boiling, add the broccoli and peas.
Reduce heat to medium and cook for 5 minutes.
Blend the soup with immersion blender or food processor.