While in Orlando to learn more about Disneynature’s Monkey Kingdom, we were immersed in all things nature. What better a place for that to take place than Disney World’s own Animal Kingdom? From backstage tours, fun challenges, and even an African Trek, we were definitely one with nature and had an amazing time!
One of my favorite parts of the trip was the Wild Africa Trek at Animal Kingdom. I have had this on my bucket list for years, and still can’t believe that I finally had the opportunity to do it this last week, but thankfully have some pretty amazing photos to remind me forever!
Roam with wild animals on this 3-hour safari at Disney’s Animal Kingdom park (separately priced tour). Wild Africa Trek offers Guests the perfect opportunity to explore the Safi River Valley and discover animals of nearly every variety in an uninhibited, natural environment.
We started our journey by gearing up! We were fitted with special harnesses that would keep us safe for the journey ahead. They were fitted with plenty of secure straps, pockets, clips, and even a water bottle so we could stay hydrated during our trek through the park! After our adventure, the water bottle was ours to keep as a momento of our adventure.
One of the first animals we spotted on our trek was a hippo! Actually, there were 2 of them. We chatted with an expert about the habits of the hippos, and watched them eat, play, and one of them even displayed to us what a “dung shower” was… thankfully from a little bit of a distance! We clipped our harnesses on to some secure straps and were able to get up close to the edge for optimal viewing. This is the closest I have ever been to a hippo and it was incredible!
After spending some time up close and personal with the hippos, we hiked onward towards the shakey rope bridges! There were 2 that we needed to cross to get to our next destination, and lurking underneath were live crocodiles! Once again, we were safely strapped in via our harnesses and sent on our way!
I’m thankful for the professional Disney photographers who were along with us on the trek, because I was not prepared to take my eyes off of those crocs for even a second to snap a photo myself! What a break taking experience that I will not soon forget!
After our up-close encounter with the crocodiles, we trekked on till we reached a safari truck and then were treated to a ride through the gorgeous savannah! We spotted some giraffes, lions, flamingos, wildebeest, and so much more! It was such an amazing experience being so up close to these animals with no enclosures! The photo ops were amazing, the view was priceless, and I think it’s safe to speak for everyone on the truck that it was an unforgettable experience like no other!
We were brought to a private cabana with an amazing view of the savannah where we were able to indulge in some first-class, African-inspired snacks and soak in the view of all around us!
Our menu included:
- Chicken curry salad
- Sun-dried tomato hummus and mini pita
- Marinated tandoori shrimp
- Smoked salmon roulade with dill
- Air-dried beef and prosciutto
- Fresh fruit marinated in mint and ginger
Know before you go:
- Restrictions: Ages 8 years old and older. Guests under 18 years of age must be accompanied by a participating adult. For your safety, you should be in good health and free from high blood pressure; heart, back or neck problems; motion sickness or other conditions that could be aggravated by this adventure. Expectant mothers should not participate. You must have physical stamina, comfort with heights, and the surefootedness to negotiate small hills, foliage and unsteady rope bridges on this tour.
- Recommended attire: Shorts or pants and a comfortable shirt. Closed-toe shoes with a back strap or hiking boots are required. No flip-flops will be allowed. Skirts or dresses are not recommended.
- Your Personal Belongings: Complimentary lockers for your belongings will be provided. You will also receive a safety vest and wireless headset so that you can hear your guide at all times. Cameras are allowed as long as they can be securely fastened to the vest.
- Price: Pricing varies seasonally, starting at $189 per person to $249 per person, plus tax. Includes 3-hour guided safari tour, tasting of African-inspired food, and a photo code that you can use to access and download images taken during your Wild Africa Trek experience. Please Note: This tour requires a separate admission ticket to Disney’s Animal Kingdom theme park.
- Availability: Available daily, at multiple times each day from morning through afternoon.
- Duration: 3 hours
At the end of our trek, Disney makes a contribution on your behalf to the Disney Worldwide Conservation Fundto protect wildlife and wild places around the world. Your group gets to vote on where the money goes, and I voted for the big cats!
Celebrate wildlife by heading to your local theater this week to see Disneynature’s Monkey Kingdom and Disneynature will make a donation to Conservation International to help protect monkeys and other endangered species in their natural habitats!