The sun has been shining and the flowers have been blooming – it’s summertime! We always have some gardening fun with the kids every summer and I was inspired by this photo from The Odd Life of Timothy Green’s Facebook page to create a “boot planter” from an old pair of Levi’s boots! He thought it was fun to re-purpose an old pair of boots that he loved to wear into a cool planter that he can water every day!
This project is super simple and lots of fun! Here’s what you’ll need:
- * your child’s old pair of boots (rain galoshes would be cute too!)
- * potting soil
- * a plant ready for potting or seeds if you prefer
- * water
Here’s how to do it:
- Fill the boots with soil 3/4 of the way full
- Remove plant from pot and shake off some of the excess soil
- Insert plant into boot and press down just a little to pack it in
- If using seeds instead of a plant, just sprinkle some seeds onto the soil
- Fill the remaining room in the boot with soil and press gently to pack it in
- Water and enjoy!
We had so much fun playing, planting, and getting our hands dirty!
A little bit about The Odd Life of Timothy Green:
Academy Award®–nominated director/writer Peter Hedges (“Dan in Real Life,” What’s Eating Gilbert Grape”) brings enchantment to the screen with “The Odd Life of Timothy Green.” It’s the inspiring, magical story of a happily married couple, Cindy and Jim Green (Jennifer Garner and Joel Edgerton), who can’t wait to start a family but can only dream about what their child would be like. When young Timothy (CJ Adams) shows up on their doorstep one stormy night, Cindy and Jim—and their small town of Stanleyville—learn that sometimes the unexpected can bring some of life’s greatest gifts.